Now Reading
Federal High Court Hears DSS Testimony in El-Rufai’s Wiretapping Trial, NSA Ribadu Confirms Conversation

Federal High Court Hears DSS Testimony in El-Rufai’s Wiretapping Trial, NSA Ribadu Confirms Conversation

At the resumed trial of former Kaduna State governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, before Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court, a witness from the Department of State Services (DSS) testified that the National Security Adviser (NSA), Nuhu Ribadu, admitted to having the conversation which El-Rufai claimed was wiretapped and relayed to him.

El-Rufai, a former minister and chieftain of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), is standing trial on charges of breach of national security and wiretapping the communication of the NSA. He had earlier alleged during a televised interview that the NSA was plotting to arrest him, a claim he said was based on information from a source who intercepted Ribadu’s phone conversation. He pleaded not guilty and was granted bail in the sum of N100 million.

The DSS witness, identified as APC (PW1) for security reasons, stated that investigators interviewed Ribadu, who verbally confirmed the conversation with ICPC Chairman, Musa Aliyu, SAN.

The witness further disclosed that the ICPC boss equally confirmed having the exact conversation with Ribadu after portions of the interview were played to him.

Meanwhile, counsel to the DSS, Mr Oluwole Aladedoye, SAN, sought to tender the silver flash drive containing the media interview and a certificate of compliance.

The senior lawyer, who led the witness in evidence, said the flash drive was a replacement for the one that was faulty the previous day, which the court admitted in evidence.

The judge then directed that the video in the flash drive, containing an interview granted by El-Rufai to Arise News, be played in the open court.

The 43-minute long recorded video where the ex-governor allegedly stated that someone had wiretapped a conversation involving the NSA and forwarded it to him, was played.

In the interview, El-Rufai made efforts to justify the act by arguing that governments routinely monitor communications.

The PW-1, who started giving evidence on Monday, said shortly after the interview was aired, investigators interviewed Ribadu and Aliyu.

The witness said the anchor of the programme, Charles Aniagolu; a lawyer, Deji Adeyanju, and a cameraman were invited for questioning.

The witness said Aniagolu confirmed that El-Rufai admitted during the interview that someone intercepted the conversation and passed it to him.

He said Aniagolu admitted that the former governor insisted during the interview that governments engage in such practices regularly.

Aladedoye later tendered statements obtained from Aniagolu and Adeyanju, which were admitted by the judge in evidence and marked as exhibits, without objection from the defence.

The judge also admitted another statement made by an Arise TV cameraman, Ugochukwu Agalayana, in evidence and marked as exhibit.

The witness said investigators concluded that El-Rufai made what they described as an “open confession” during the television interview regarding the interception of the NSA’s conversation.

See Also
NBA-HRI

He added that the investigation team considered the act capable of undermining national security and subsequently recommended prosecution.

The prosecution counsel further tendered a preliminary investigation report, which the court also admitted in evidence and marked as exhibit.

Meanwhile, under cross examination by El-Rufai’s lawyer, Chief Paul Erokoro, SAN, the witness admitted not examining any communication device belonging to the NSA, obtaining IP addresses nor conducted forensic analysis of the alleged interception.

According to the witness, such steps were no longer necessary after the NSA confirmed the authenticity of the conversation referenced in the interview.

The witness, however, admitted that El-Rufai did not specifically state during the interview, that he personally carried out the interception.

He insisted that the former governor repeatedly stood by the claim that the conversation was tapped and forwarded to him.

On whether the defendant could merely have been boasting as a politician during a politically charged television appearance, the witness said he considered El-Rufai as a person of integrity and believed he meant what he said during the broadcast.

After the cross-examination, Justice Abdulmalik adjourned the matter until June 22 and June 23 for continuation of trial.

View Comments (0)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

© Copyright 2025 All Rights Reserved | Designed by Renix Consulting

Scroll To Top